Wednesday 16 November 2011

Mark Bright interview

Mark Bright is most commonly known for his spells with Crystal Palace and Sheffield Wednesday. During his time with Palace the club had arguably their best spell, including an FA Cup final appearance in 1990.

You joined Palace in 1986, and during you 6-year stint the club had its greatest period. How proud are you of yours and the club achievements alike?
I'm very proud of the clubs achievements when I was there, 3rd in old first div 1, that’s the equivalent of coming 3rd in the Premier league now, and of course playing in the FA Cup final in 1990 against Man Utd.
In 1990 Palace had an amazing cup run, beating Liverpool 4-3 in the semi-final, with you scoring the equaliser to make it 1-1. Despite taking Manchester United to a replay, the original final was another classic. Which of the two was your favourite or most memorable game?
The FA Cup Final was very memorable with Ian Wright coming off the bench to score 2 goals, but so was the FA Cup semi final against Liverpool, so I would say the 3-3 at Wembley.
In 1992 you moved to Sheffield Wednesday, in doing so becoming their all-time premier league top scorer. However you missed out again on Cup glory after narrow defeats to Arsenal in both the League and FA Cup, how did you recover from the disappointment?
It’s always difficult to get over defeats especially in big games, as footballers you get used to losing, it seems strange to say it but when it’s over there is nothing you can do about it, everyone will go over the game many times in their heads, what they could have done different but the reality hits and it’s all done, even now I can't watch Bryan Robson of Man Utd, or Tony Adams of Arsenal pick up the FA Cups on the TV highlights it still hurts to see them doing what I wanted to do.
When you joined Charlton you played in another Wembley classic, this time winning on penalties in the Division 1 play-off final against Sunderland. This must have been a highlight in your career?
I've had many highlights so I'm lucky, the Charlton game towards the end of my career so I enjoyed every minute, Charlton was on the up and I was coming to the end, it was a pleasure to be part of the clubs journey to the Premier League.
Sandwiched between Charlton and Wednesday you went to Switzerland to play for FC Sion. How did the move come about? And did you enjoy your time at the club?
FC Sion was a strange one, long story but I didn't get paid properly, the president ended up in jail for whatever reason and I ended up back in the UK at Charlton, I believe everything happens for a reason so I just had to swallow my pride and come back home, but I really enjoyed it in Switzerland, I played with Roberto Asiss, who was Ronaldinho's elder brother, he was a fantastic person and player, I’ve been back to Sion in the summer time to visit, its half an hour from Chamonix, it’s a lovely place.
Does seeing three of your previous sides Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and Palace have also spiralled down the leagues, with all three, at one stage in financial trouble in recent times, does this upset you to see them in trouble after the success you enjoyed with the trio in your playing career?
No one wants to see their former clubs in trouble but for three of them to be in free fall is incredible, Wednesday, Palace and Charlton have all suffered but hopefully it won't be long before all of them will make strides to get back to where they were.
You’ve played under some great managers: Steve Coppell; Trevor Francis and Alan Curbishly to name but three. Who was the best manager you’ve played for though?
Steve Coppell.
You recently joined up with John Salako, your former team mate to help the Crystal Palace youth team, have you always been interested in becoming a coach?
Not always, but I did my UEFA B badge when I was at Charlton and decided the media was better for me at that stage, I coach 10-16yr olds at Palace Academy, I did the same at Wednesday, I used to go to the academy Thursday evenings to help out.
Having worked for the BBC and written in the Metro, did you always want to become a pundit when you finished your playing career?
I did a spell on the Big Breakfast with Jonny Vaughan and I got a taste for it there and it all took off, so that’s why I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment